We honour the following sisters:
- Brenda Lorena Alvarado Montoya (2019) – Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- Thuthukile Mabasa (2018) – Capetown, South Africa
- Nicole Saavedra (2016) – Valparaiso, Brazil
- Sidney Loofe (2017) – Nebraska, USA
- Anne Mikaelly (2018) – Brasilia, Brazil
- Unathi Bixa (2017) – Capetown, South Africa
- Charlene Ranstrom and Brenda Warner (1988) – Nashua, New Hampshire
- Cassie Hayes (2018) – Southport, Mercyside, England
- Marielle Franco (2018) – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Elke W. and Beate N. (2016) – Gersthofen-Hirblingen, Germany
- Anisha and Joey van Niekerk (2017) – Magaliesberg, South Africa
- Kaladaa Crowell (and her 11 year-old daughter, Kyra Inglett) (2017) – West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
- Noxolo Xakeka (2018) – Lwandle, South Africa
- Kerrice Lewis (2018) – Washington, D.C., USA
- Shanta Myers and Brandi Mells (and Shanta’s two children, Shanise Myers and Jeremiah Myers) (2017) – Troy, New York, USA
- Josanne Maria Almeida da Silva and Ana Paula da Silva Pereira (2017) – Manaus, Brazil
- Quezia Kassya (2017) – San Paulo, Brazil
- Georgann Lee Smith (2009) – Sarasota, Florida, USA
- Ana Flávia Leitão (2017) – Cataguases, Brazil
- Irani Ribeiro de Medeiros (2017) – Várzea Grande (Mato Grosso), Brazil.
- Felicia Dormans (2017) – Mount Holly, New Jersey, USA.
- Lyndsey Vaux (2016) – Wigan, United Kingdom
Continue reading at: http://inmemoriamlesbian.blogspot.com/
Posted in Listening 2 Lesbians
Tagged Ana Flavia Leitao, Ana Paula da Silva Pereira, Anisha van Niekerk, Anne Mikaelly, Beate N, Brandi Mells, Brenda Lorena Alvarado Montoya, Brenda Warner, Cassie Hayes, Charlene Ranstrom, Children of lesbian parents, Elke W, Felicia Dormans, Georgeann Lee Smith, In memoriam, Irani Ribeiro de Medeiros, Jeremiah Myers, Joey van Niekerk, Josanne Maria Almeida da Silva, Kaladaa Crowell, Kerrice Lewis, Kyra Inglett, Lesbian Mothers, Lesbian Murder Victims, Lesbians in Brazil, Lesbians in Germany, Lesbians in Honduras, Lesbians in South Africa, Lesbians in the U.K., Lesbians in the U.S., Lyndsey Vaux, male violence against women, Marielle Franco, murder of lesbian, Nicole Saavedra, Noxolo Xakeka, Quezia Kassya, Shanise Myers, Shanta Myers, Sidney Loofe, Thuthukile Mabasa, Unathi Bixa, violence against children, violence against lesbians, violence against women
Two former police officers have been arrested over the murder of the Rio de Janeiro councillor Marielle Franco, two days before the first anniversary of her death, which prompted international outrage. Franco, a groundbreaking politician who was born in one of Rio’s largest favelas and became a voice for disadvantaged people in the city, was killed in a drive-by shooting along with her driver, Anderson Gomes. She had criticised police killings in the favelas where she grew up and took part in a 2008 state legislature inquiry into the paramilitary gangs that dominate large areas of Rio state. Known as militias, these groups often include police officers. The suspects were identified as Ronnie Lessa, a retired military police officer, and Élcio Vieira de Queiroz, a former police officer.
Continue reading at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/12/police-officers-arrested-murder-brazilian-politician-marielle-franco
Original article: Protests held across Brazil after lesbian Rio councillor shot dead
Posted in News
Tagged Anderson Gomes, Assassination, Élcio Vieira de Queiroz, Lesbian Murder Victims, Lesbians in Brazil, Marielle Franco, murder of lesbian, police officers, Politics, Ronnie Lessa, violence against lesbians, violence against women
Protests were held across Brazil after a popular Rio city councillor and her driver were shot dead by two men in what appears to have been a targeted assassination. Marielle Franco, 38, was a groundbreaking politician who had become a voice for disadvantaged people in the teeming favelas that are home to almost one-quarter of Rio de Janeiro’s population, where grinding poverty, police brutality and shootouts with drug gangs are routine.
Richard Nunes, Rio’s head of public security, said there would be a “full investigation” into the deaths, which came despite the military taking charge of policing in the city last month after a surge in violence.
Continue reading at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/15/marielle-franco-shot-dead-targeted-killing-rio (Source)
Update: Brazil: two ex-police charged with murder of lesbian activist politician Marielle Franco and her driver