Three mysterious deaths and dozens of violent attacks on butch lesbians, or camionas, have put lesbians in Chile’s Fifth region on red alert.
“We call the Fifth region Chile’s red zone for lesbians because of María, Nicole and Susana,” says Karen Vergara. “There are many other attacks. Not as brutal or fatal as these but enough to land lesbians – especially camionas – in hospital. “We as lesbians are always on red alert in this town [Quillota]. Day and night, 24 hours a day 365 days a year. We feel under threat. As soon as you step out of your home you are in danger.
Continue reading: https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-48719453 (source)
- Update: Nicole Saavedra’s family still fighting for justice four years after the young lesbian’s death
- When a lesbian dies: the search for justice for Nicole Saavedra and DJ Anna Cook
- Update: Arrest finally made over young lesbian Nicole Saavedra’s 2016 rape and murder
- Chile: The Red Zone: A place where butch lesbians live in fear
- Chile: three years after her lesbicide, still no justice for Nicole Saavedra
- In Memoriam: Lesbian Murder Victims (March 2019 Update)