Lesbians in the News 14 November 2015
Young lesbian couple found murdered
from the French Broad River in Ashville, North Carolina. The couple had gone missing on October 27th after giving Pierre Lamont Griffin II a ride to a nearby apartment complex. Griffin was later arrested and charged with felony robbery with a dangerous weapon, felony first-degree murder, and reckless driving and fleeing to elude arrest in the murder of another man earlier in the evening. and has subsequently been charged with murder over their deaths.
Arts & Entertainment
- Help make season 2 of a reality by donating to their Kickstarter campaign. The Lavender Collective is a web-based comedy about a group of lesbians that meet up every week to talk stuff out.
- Domestic violence organization, Safe Horizon, presented an all-female reading of Shakespeare’s Othello, titled on October 27th. The reading included out lesbian performer and playwright Lisa Kron and LGBT activist StaceyAnn Chin.
- Nigerian director Elizabeth Funke Obisanya took away for her movie at the Black Entertainment Film Fashion Television and Arts (BEFFTA) awards ceremony in London.
Laws, Politics and Policies
- A judge in Utah stating that children are better off being raised by heterosexual parents. Under pressure from critics, on November 13th. A new hearing is set for December 4th.
- British Health minister Jane Ellison announced that a ban on is not being considered by the government at this time.
- Ukraine passed a based on sexual orientation and gender identity on November 12th.
- After receiving observer status by the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights (ACHPR) in April, The Coalition of African Lesbians (CAL) is to exclude the group from participation. The organization believes that CAL’s observer status should be revoked for not subscribing to “African values.”
- Human Rights Watch reports on a draft law pending in Russia’s parliament that would
- Qantas airlines when employees continually harassed them to separate seats so a straight married couple could sit together on a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne.
Social and Health Issues
- Lesbian couples discuss the issues and difficulties they face .
- The first same-sex marriage certificate in Tokyo was on November 5th. While their certificate only applies to two wards at this time, many see it as an important first step towards full marriage equality in historically conservative Japan.
- found that LBG teenagers are twice as likely to be bullied and socially excluded at school, than their straight peers.
- A new study out of the University of Essex is claiming that . Among other things, the researchers are trying “to test the theory that because lesbians can be more masculine in many of their non-sexual behaviours (for example, the way they dress), they are also more masculine in their sexual responses.” Anyone else questioning the motivations and conclusions of this study?
- A Change.org petition has been started to take the . Petitioners are arguing that LGBT organizations are not only prioritizing T over L, but also “actively discriminate against L interests.”
- The Mormon Church has announced that will be denied entry into the church until they are 18 years old, move out of their parents’ home and disavow all same-sex relationships. This announcement came soon after
- The Curacao Tourist Board wants to to experience the island’s ‘live and let live’ atmosphere.
- With lesbian visibility an ever present issue, do we have language specific to lesbian communities or an archetypal “lesbian voice”? What lesbian specific language do you see, and is it location specific?
- Aussie movie arrives for a screening in NYC on December 2nd. Described as a “crime caper with strong lesbian characters,” it will also be released by Wolfe on DVD on December 1st.
- The Lambda Literary Foundation is accepting applications for the to be held at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles beginning July 24, 2016. are due by January 5, 2016.
Thanks to Lisa for compiling this fortnightly edition of Lesbians in the News.
If you have any other stories, please add them in the comments or email them to me at email@example.com.